Friday, September 14, 2007

Why I am Tired?

I haven't been posting much recently. At this time last year I was at the height of my resurgence in wrestling fandom, having latched onto TNA and the rising company they seemed to be at the time. Since then I have gone a year of watching the wrestling industry from a TNA fan perspective.

I admire what Vince's company does but for me the real wrestling was over at TNA. But then something happened. Shortly after Slammiversary TNA took a direction I haven't been happy with, basically making the show the Kurt Angle hour. I love Kurt but when TNA has such great talent every Impact does not have to be Angle-centric.

Anyway I recently went to a local NWA event here in PA. The guys there put on a fantastic show, utilizing a ring that looked like it could fall apart at any minute. The culmination was when Sure Shot Shawn Reynolds (Better than you since 1982) dove off a ten foot ladder onto a table to cover "Dirty" Don Montoya for the win. These guys have no TV contract. Reynolds is a local police officer by day and does this only for the thrill of the 70 or so people that filled into the hot Salvation Army gym on that night. Now don't get me wrong, I am by no means suggesting that these little Indy guys with limited move sets should be my Thursday night programming but rather that TNA should utilize what it has.

Guys like AJ Styles, Chris Sabin, Alex Shelly, Christopher Daniels and Jay Lethal are all being tragically wasted because TNA management feels they need to spotlight Angle for 90% of the show. I don't tune into Impact to watch Angle sunbathe in his underwear, while talking to his therapist (Kevin Nash). I tune into Impact to watch high Impact wrestling. Yet all I really get is Angle and Joe or Angle and Sting (and I love Sting) over and over each week. It is time for TNA to turn up the product or get out of dodge because frankly I'm just tired of the same old, same old.

No comments: